Heathcock Genealogy Database - Person Sheet
Heathcock Genealogy Database - Person Sheet
NameAlyce Virginia Lay , Aunt
Birth1 Nov 1920, Georgetown, Williamson Co TX1
Death27 Jul 2008, Abilene, Taylor Co TX Age: 87
FatherJesse Lee Lay (1887-1935)
MotherMabel Coral Harris (1891-1968)
Birth23 Sep 1919, Yoakum, Lavaca Co TX1
Death28 Apr 2012, San Antonio, Bexar Co TX Age: 92
FatherJames Barnett Scott (1891-1963)
MotherMargaret Chloe Woolsey (1894-1972)
Marriage1 Mar 1941
ChildrenPhilip Lawler (1948-)
Notes for Alyce Virginia Lay
Virginia Lay ('Ginger') lived in various places until 1925 when the family moved to San Antonio.30 Shortly after, her father took work with Wyandotte Detergent Co. and travelled. His headquarters were in Chicago. In 1933, after losing that job due to the Great Depression, the family moved to La Vernia to live more cheaply.
Ginger went to school through the 7th grade in La Vernia. The family returned to San Antonio in 1934 and the next year Ginger started school at Brackenridge High School and graduated with honors in 1938.
The family did not have enough money for college, so Ginger started working at Dun & Bradstreet, operating a dictaphone. She quit that job four years later, having married Phil Scott in 1941, and took a clerk-typist job at Fort Sam Houston. When Phil went into the Army in 1945, Ginger because a clerk-typist at Randolph Field.
Ginger went to join Phil, first at Fort Siley, Kansas, and then at Camp Shanks, New York. In New York, she again worked as a clerk-typist until she became pregnant, a pregnancy that ended in miscarriage.
When she and Phil returned to San Antonio they bought their first house and Ginger went to work for Westbrook Lumber Company, doing general office work, including bookkeeping.
Pregnancy forced her to quit this work. Son Philip Lawler Scott, Jr., was born on December 21, 1948, and nine days later Phil Sr. was transferred to Valentine, TX. The family remained there for three months until Phil was 'bumped' off the job and returned to San Antonio as a machinist. In January of 1950 Phil was promoted again to Night Roundhouse Foreman at Del Rio, TX.
While in Del Rio, Margaret Elizabeth was born on July 1, 1951. Six months later the family returned to San Antonio, where Phil was working as Relief Roundhouse Foreman. Ginger worked as 'home maker,' improving her skills in cooking and serving and raising her two children.
In early 1952 Phil again was 'bumped' back to machinist, working the 4-12 pm shift. A job as Day General Roundhouse Foreman was taken in Houston in October, 1952. During their stay in Houston, Philip Jr. ('Flip') started kindergarten at age 5.
In 1956 it was back to San Antonio with Phil being Night General Foreman. Lots of illness afflicted Phil, Jr. Margaret started school. In April 1958 the family returned to Houston with Phil being Assistant Master Mechanic. A new house was built in 1961 in Spring Branch, a suburb of Houston. In September, Phil accepted a job as Superintendent of Shops in Houston.
In 1963 Phil was transferred to Saramento, California, as Mechanical Production Planner. Ginger went to work at a department store as a clerk in December 1963.
In 1965 the family returned to San Antonio where Phil was Master Mechanic. Flip was in his Junior year of High School and Margaret had one more year in Junior High School. When Margaret entered High School, Ginger went to work as Financial Secretary at MacArthur High School.
After Phil's transfer in 1977 to Los Angeles as Plant Manager, Ginger worked about four months as a dictaphone clerk in a medical clinic. When that job ended she completed a novel she had started before the move to Los Angeles. It was submitted 5 or 6 times to publishers, but there were no takers.
After returning to San Antonio in October, 1979, Ginger did not enter into any more individual enterprises. Travelling and visiting family in the RVs that had been bought and sold and bought anew occupied her time. Many pleasant months have been spent in Colorado and other parts West.
Notes for Philip Lawler (Spouse 1)
Phil Scott started in the first grade at Ben Milam Elementary School in San Antonio, TX.30 He transferred to Robert E. Lee, and attended Emerson Junior High School and Brackenridge High School in San Antonio. He played football for the Brackenridge team in 1935-37 and lettered in 1936 and 1937 as quarterback. He was a member of the All-District and All-South Texas teams. He was Captain of the track team in 1936.
Phil earned a football scholarship to Schreiner Instite in Kerville, TX, in 1938. He transferred to Sul Ross State Teachers College in 1939 and played football there. After football was discontinued at Sul Ross, he transferred to St. Mary's University in San Antonio.
He applied at Randolph Field for Air Force Cadet Training but was not accepted because of color blindness. His application to the Navy Seabees was also rejected.
Philip Scott's first job was with the Southern Pacific Railroad as a machinist apprentice in September, 1940. After three years he was promoted to machinist because of vacancies caused by many men being called into the service for WWII. Service for Phil was deferred until March, 1945. He spent his service time at Camp Shanks, New York, seven miles north of NYC. He was discharged at the end of the Pacific War in October, 1946, as a Master Sergeant.
After his discharge, Phil returned to his work as a machinist for the Southern Pacific. He continued to work for the railroad for 39 years and eventually advanced to the position of Senior Plant Manager. He finished his RR career in Los Angeles, California, and retired September 30, 1979. Over the years his work with the SP took him to Valentine, TX, Del Rio, TX, Houston, TX, Sacramento, CA, and eventually Los Angeles. Between most of his moves there were stints in San Antonio.
After retirement from the RR, Phil served many times as Expert Witness for the Railroad in cases against them.
Notes for Philip Lawler (Spouse 1)
Uncle Phil and my Tinkertoys. It was about 1939 or 1940 and I was 3-4 years old. We lived in the Ripley Street house and I had a “Tinkertoy” set. Tinkertoys were little round wood pieces with a round hole in the center and 8 more round holes drilled into the perimeter. The set had a bunch of these and also a lot of wooden sticks that fit into the holes. You could assemble them in a number of geometric patterns to make objects.

Mother’s sister, “Aunt Ginger,” lived with us in the Burleson Street house. Her boyfriend was Phil Scott, known to us later as “Uncle Phil.” He and Aunt Ginger weren’t married yet and Uncle Phil came to our house to visit with her. I remember that they didn’t go out—I assume they just spent the evening sitting and talking in the living room. When Uncle Phil came, he would visit with me for awhile and then ask me what I wanted him to build with my Tinkertoys. Then I would go to bed and when I got up the next morning there would be some wonderful creation that he had made. I remember one time it was a windmill and another time it was an airplane! I don’t remember their getting married—I know now that it was in March 1941. If they had a big wedding I don’t remember it, and might not even have been taken to a wedding at my age.

Clayton Heathcock, 2 May 2012
Last Modified 29 Jul 2008Created 21 Aug 2021 using Reunion for Macintosh
Click a name for research notes about the person.
Click the camera icon for photos and other media.
Click on the tree icon for a 5-generation pedigree of the person.