Following from “RALPH SHELTON, OF MIDDLESEX COUNTY, VIRGINIA AND SOME OF HIS DESCENDANTS”; An Account by his great-5-grandson, Kenyon Stevenson (deceased), Hudson, Ohio, 1953:1078
Ralph Shelton’s two older surviving sons, Ralph and Crispin, after marriage in Middlesex in the early 1730’s, apparently settled in Essex County. In May 1740 Ralph Shelton
presented a certificate to the Essex Court for taking up a runaway slave Cheshire belonging to Mrs. Winifred Webb of Richmond , and in August 1742, the Essex court adjudged Sam, a negro boy belonging to Crispin Shelton to be 10 years old.
Shortly thereafter these Sheltons turned toward Amelia County, nearly 100 miles west and south, created in 1734 from Brunswick and Prince George Counties. Amelia at first also included the areas now in Prince Edward and Nottaway Counties. On July 14, 1743 Mathew Smart of Prince George County sold Crispin Shelton of South Farnham Parish, Essex County 620 acres on South Nottaway River in Amelia County. Two years later, on Sept. 20, 1745, Ralph Shelton
received a royal grant of 400 acres in Amelia County, on the lower side of Snales Creek and north of Great Nottaway River.
It appears probable that with Ralph and Crispin and their families went their mother, Mary Clark, and the four younger sons, John, Benjamin, James and Daniel. In 1745 John was 23, Benjamin 21, James 19 and Daniel 16.
Crispin sold two portions of his 620 acres in 1746 – 155 acres to Henry Bueford of Amelia and 203 acres to James Beuford of Orange County. The deeds place the land as lying “on the south side of Rocky Creek in the forks of Nottaway” and recite that “Letice his said wife” joined Crispin in the sale. Ralph Shelton
and Benjamin Shelton signed both deeds as witnesses. Recalling that Henry Buford and William Buford were witnesses to the father Ralph’s will in Middlesex in 1733, it is suggested that Crispin’s wife, Lettice, may have been a Buford.
On June 20, 1749, Ralph Shelton
had a second land grant – 400 acres in Lunenburg County, on the lower side of Ledbetters Creek. On Oct. 23, 1751, Ralph Shelton
of the Parish of Nottaway bought 286 acres more on the lower side of Snales Creek from Samuel Jordan. Snail Creek, on the modern map, is a small stream scarcely five miles long in the southeast corner of Prince Edward County (created in 1753 from Amelia), emptying into the Great Nottaway where Prince Edward, Nottaway and Lunenburg meet. The Great Nottaway was then (1751) the boundary between Amelia and Lunenburg. This places Ralph Shelton
’s 628 acre homestead in the extreme southwest corner of present Nottaway County and his land on Ledbetter Creek about 10 miles distant to the south and west.